Due to the fact that many of our administrators and moderators are professionals in many fields; the following is information that all our wonderful subscribers do need to understand for legal reasons.
AAPN does not give personal and specific medical advice to diagnose, treat, or cure any illness or injury, and will not provide that information if asked. Posts by AAPN are generalized, and are presented by the explicit views and/or opinions of, but not limited to, AAPN, its members, its affiliates, and forwarded news articles. AAPN does not hold itself liable for any injuries or financial losses due to personal blunders that maybe misinterpreted by satirical postings. AAPN maintains its rights to manage its forum, but doesn’t endorse the opinions of any commentators on the page; and those opinions are strictly those of the commentators.
Member details on the website are used strictly for log in purposes. No details will be shared or sold to any other parties.
To summarize this post:
Outline of Rules:
1. No personal attacks
2. No offensive content
3. No blocking administrators or moderator
4. Screenshots must have censored names
5. Repeat minor offenses can get you removed
6. Provide burden of proof
7. No nondescriptive posts
8. No spamming
9. No plagiarism
10. No unauthorized advertising
11. No trolling
12. Follow posted guidelines
13. Remain within Facebook criteria
For the whole extensive legal and rules for AAPN, please refer to the post in the website.
Rules and guidelines for the AAPN group and Facebook page:
By becoming a member of AAPN you agree to abide by some common sense guidelines. Once in a great while, out of necessity, we retain the right to ban a member from the group because of disruption, trolling or disregard of the terms of service. Especially if this member that has been warned before about their behavior. We really don’t want to babysit, so follow the rules and don’t let anonymity give you permission to act inappropriately.
We have about 50 people volunteering their time to make sure that things don’t get out of hand. These people volunteer their time so the least you can do is give them the same respect that they themselves have agreed to when they agreed to serve as an admin.
Detailed information on Bannable Offenses and Rules:
1. Personally attacking other members of our organization. (Name calling, ad hominems, defamatory statements, etc…) Disparaging remarks and posts about a member’s personal lifestyle are forbidden and are grounds for immediate removal.
2. Offensive content: Sexist comments, rape jokes, disparaging of disabilities, racism, antisemitic, misgendering, or attempts to violate the spirit of this rule.
CONTENT: Inappropriate images/posts will be removed from the page. The offensive content will be explained to the member. Upon removal, the admin/moderator may decide to ban the member in question depending on the level of offense.
IMAGES: All Content posted to the group should be SFW (safe for work). If an image is NSFW (not safe for work), a member should post an external link with no preview with a tag NSFW. If a member is unsure about an image, ask an admin/moderator.
3. Blocking Admins or Moderators: The Admin and Moderator names are available in the member list, if you are having problems with an admin or mod, please seek out another admin or mod. If you cannot reach one, please message the AAPN main page. If you do block an admin or moderator, this will result in an automatic removal and possible ban.
4. Posting non-public content of anyone without blocking out their names in a post in this group or in other locations will result in the removal of the post and possible removal of the person who posted it (depending on the severity of the post). In accordance with Facebook anti-bullying/anti-doxxing policy, we may reject or delete any and all posts containing personal information, including names, at our sole discretion.
5. Repeat minor offenses, especially when the guidelines as detailed in guidelines section are routinely ignored may result in removal from the AAPN organization.
(Note: The Admin team may give you a warning first or remove you from the group without notification, based on the level of offense(s).)
6. When someone asks for burden of proof, you must be able to provide it. This is very important as you’re engaging with a group of skeptics. When making an assertion, it is a must that you have a reputable source to cite when doing so, or you are using(citing) an already well established scientific principle(s).
If an admin/mod asks you to provide the source material and you refuse to, your post WILL be deleted. You also risk a temporary ban or mute if this is a repeated offense. If you block any admin you will be banned from the group automatically.Just like peer reviewed papers in the scientific community if you are asked to provide proof of an outlandish statement you post, you need to provide it. Please don’t risk having your post deleted especially if you believe you got it from a reliable source. That’s what our objective is here to sort through the nonsense and its source(s). So if a person posts something with good intent don’t jump on this person for making an honest mistake. Learn from those that have backgrounds in these areas as we have many people from around the globe with various expertise.
7. Posts of images, memes and links must have a descriptive introduction. Emoticons do not count. Failure to abide by this will result in the removal of the post and potentially the person who made it; depending on circumstances. (See Bannable offense 5.)
8. No spam posting or excessive posting. Spam posts will be deleted on site and the OP maybe removed from the group and potentially banned depending on the severity of the offense.
9. Plagiarism will not be tolerated, it’s against international copyright laws and is grounds for immediate removal up to banning. To simplify compliance and enforcement of copyrights here on AAPN, we ask that excerpts from other sources with copywrited materials posted on AAPN be limited to a maximum of four paragraphs, and we ask that the source of the content be clearly identified. Those who make a good-faith effort to respect the rights of copyright holders are unlikely to have any problems. But individuals who willfully and habitually infringe on others’ copyrights risk being banned from AAPN. If you need additional information please see the DMCA rules below. Or better yet…we love to support our own original content. Contact an admin if you have interest in writing some of your own work.
10. No advertising of sites/groups/merchandise/events or self-promotion will be allowed to any extent without the explicit consent of AAPN. Failure to contact us may result in removal from the group and potentially banned depending on the severity of the offense.
11. Zero tolerance for Trolling: Intentionally trolling the group will result in the immediate removal and banning of the person engaging in this activity. If you have something you want to discuss that will aggravate other members, please make an argument in your OP explaining your position. If in doubt, tag an admin or moderator for clarification.
12. Follow posted guidelines, failure to do so may result in removal from the group. (See Bannable Offense 5. and the listed guidelines below)
13. Anything otherwise against Facebook policy such as Nudity (regardless, it is unlikely an on topic post will reasonably feature it) . Facebook policies https://www.facebook.com/policies
If you see a violation of any of the rules posted above, please notify an admin.
A Summary of Guidelines:
a. Here at AAPN we embrace the scientific method. We draw our evidence, hypotheses, and conclusions all by utilizing this specific process. When our admins discuss matters, we do so in a professional manner and draw our conclusions via this method. Being a member or participant of the group, page, or website AAPN, we would expect the same from you as well. We don’t partake in ad hominem remarks or delve into nonsense and neither should you.
b. Humorous posts are always welcome: When posting humorous or satirical postings, you don’t need to abide by the previously mentioned guidelines, but don’t take it too seriously, have fun with it.
– If you are submitting from a satirical source please say that it’s satire in your accompanying commentary.
Example – “Shared from The National Report/The Daily Mash/Waterford Whisper News – A Satirical News Page.”
AAPN is international and many of our member’s first language is not English. We also have members who are not neuro-typical and perceive the content as literal. The ensuing misunderstanding and mod/admin intervention to clear it up can often take up quite a lot of our time. Adding a line or two for context should (*should) see the post viewed as intended, i.e. for humour, and not marginalise anyone in the process.
c. Be willing to have your mind changed, none of us have all the answers.
d. Keep posts and comments coherent: If there’s a language barrier, please make sure to announce that to avoid any confusion.
e. Be aware of the difference between a hypothesis and theory, especially when talking about scientific matters. A classic theory, and a scientific theory are two different things.
f. Avoid copy and pasting (it’s fine every so often) and use your own words. If we think you’re a robot, we may accidentally remove you.
g. Respond to new assertions, and questions and don’t just rephrase the same comment while ignoring the response. You are not a broken record, this is usually done out of some kind of self-righteous outrage.
h. Please avoid logical fallacies, it presents a poor argument, even if you’re correct.
i. THEIST ACCUSATIONS: Please do not accuse fellow members of being a theist. If you have suspicions that someone is a theist, then please contact an admin/mod or tag an admin/mod in the post. We do occasionally have theists that are here lurking to discuss the common things we agree on that has to do with science; but we will NOT remove anything that points out the ridiculous nature of religion though because you believe it insults your religion. As stated we are ATHEISTS that are against pseudoscientific nonsense and that includes religion of any kind.
j. Please remain on topic when posting and commenting. When you reply to thread arguments it must be made in the same way as peer review, with supporting evidence and philosophy if applicable, ad hominem remarks will not only draw discredit, but if obscene, vulgar, woo supporting, conspiracy supporting (without supporting evidence), quackery supporting, religious apologetics, etc, are grounds for permanent removal. If it becomes a problem with a member they may be banned upon a decision by a panel of admins.
Policy on Rules, Guidelines, and Group activities:
ADMIN PROMISE TO OUR MEMBERS: We will evaluate every suspected rule violation without ideological bias and make decisions as an admin team prior to removing or banning any member of the group. We do discuss every ban and the reason for it and a consensus of admins is the final word on whether a member is banned. We would rather not lose members so we will delete any post that goes against any of our common decency rules before we ban you unless otherwise noted. If you feel you were unjustly banned, you may request a review by the admins by messaging the AAPN main page.
POSTS: AAPN asks that you please moderate your own posts for these rule infractions, we encourage members to tag an Admin if there are any rule violations that you can’t handle.
SUBJECT MATTER: AAPN is international and generally non political, we do allow specific exceptions for the separation of church and state and topics that become political that are within our area of subject manner. Political topics that address science/science denial, and religious promotion/secular persecution are on topic. The general focus is on debunking of pseudoscience but posting interesting scientific advancements and subject matter is also encouraged.
DISCUSSIONS: should be related to the subject of the original post. Please do not “hi-jack” threads. When you find that you feel antagonized by the other person, it may help to take a break or find common ground on the subject. We are here to learn from each other, find common ground, and to be part of a community.
REPORTING: Please tag an admin/moderator or private message an admin. You can also report a post to the admin team instead of to Facebook and all of the admins will see the post. Messaging the AAPN main page is also an option as well.
AAPN IS INTERNATIONAL: AAPN holds no political affiliations itself and can’t hold one due to the nature of this organization. We are never the less actively advocating for the separation of church and state and promoting science and critical thinking.
AAPN maintains its rights to net neutrality and its rights to libel laws.
Last updated: May 11, 2018
AAPN has a large network, to include but not limited to:
Atheists Against Pseudoscientific Nonsense
AAPN Main Page (News Paper)
The AAPN YouTube Channel (under development)
The AAPN associated pages:
The Scientific Atheist
The Atheist’s Directory
AAPN also has several different internal chat groups, 2 administrative groups and administrative tools to help you if you need any support.
#AAPN has affiliates with:
Answers In Reason
The Facebook group
On behalf of the AAPN Team, we thank you for your time.
-Daniel Bennett, Chairman of the Board